Thankful for today 7/26/12

Thank you Lord for helping me finish my first year of Charis Bible College. Thank you for your wisdom! Thank you for the call you have for all of us!
Thank you for clean running water...electricity...toilet paper...and baby wipes.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Awesome Mexican Casserole

     There are no pictures because it all got eaten...lol.  But I made a really awesome mexican casserole yesterday for dinner. Here is the run down of what it was made of.


Buttered 13 by 9 dish
2 cans of salsa or petite diced tomatoes (no salt added kind) made into salsa, see below
over 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese shredded (shred the block yourself tastes better than pre shredded)
fajita size flour tortillas
seasoned ground beef about one pound to 1.5lbs, recipe below

      I took one can of the petite diced tomatoes and put in my food processor (use blender if needed) and added about 1/3 to a half of a sweet onion that has been diced.  Then I added about a teaspoon of salt.   I added the juice of one lime and a little cilantro and about 1/3 of a can of green chiles.  I did a little shake of garlic powder and onion powder and oregano.  Then I blended it until it was pureed.  Wahlah!  Awesome salsa!
     So I put the salsa on the bottom of the pan.  A nice even layer.  Then I add the tortillas.  Nicely lay them out over the salsa.  Then I layer all of the ground meat.  That is listed below.  Then I added 1/3 of the chiles and about a cup and a half of cheese maybe one cup.  Then I added more salsa.  I top with 6 flour tortillas and the rest of the salsa and the cheese.  I made sure the top was totally covered in cheese!  It was awesome!
     To season the meat I adapted a recipe for a chorizo casserole in a mexican cookbook.  I often use this for taco seasoning as well.
      1 tsp cinnamon
      1/2 to 1tsp ground clove (to taste)
      2 tsp. oregano
      1 tsp. salt
      2 tsp. sugar
      1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
      a couple of tablespoons of anejo tequila or cognac or whisky
      2 or 3 crushed cloves of garlic
Basically, you cook your meat (I don't have to drain mine because it is pasture raised but drain and rinse your beef if you use some from the grocery store.  Rinsing is important!  Rinse it in the strainer/collander.) then you add about a half of a cup of water and the the seasonings and mix it and simmer it until it has almost no liquid.  You do not want to burn it. A tiny amount of liquid is ok and will thicken upon standing.  Awesome meat!
     I went ahead and made an extra thing of salsa and I ended up putting it on my salad it was so good!  Instead of salad dressing! It tasted so good with the shredded cheese on my lettuce!  Yummy Num Num!
Let me know if you try the recipe and how you like it!
God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! God loves you very much!