Thankful for today 7/26/12

Thank you Lord for helping me finish my first year of Charis Bible College. Thank you for your wisdom! Thank you for the call you have for all of us!
Thank you for clean running water...electricity...toilet paper...and baby wipes.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Extract and update on us

      I love to make anything I can from scratch.  So when I found out recently that you can make vanilla extract from scratch, I have been itching to get down to it.  When we had the extra money recently I bought some bourbon Madagascar vanilla beans online.  I then went to the local liquor store and got some really cheap vodka...one gallon's worth.
     I decided to make two half gallons of the extract.  One where I split the beans and scraped out half of the specks, caviar, and the other where I just split the beans. I want to see if there is a real discernible difference in the final product.  An experiment of sorts!  I love experiments like this in the kitchen!
     Then I decided to go one step further and since I had some extra beans left over, make some extract with a different kind of liquor.  I stood in the liquor store for quite a few minutes mulling it all over. I settled on Paul Mason's VSOP brandy.  I bought a 750ml bottle for around 20 dollars plus tax.  I know that only makes a quart...but it is a smooth brandy and it tastes good in baking, so I am excited to try it in the vanilla extract.  I think it will taste heavenly!
     I have put all of the jars in a dark cabinet.  You have to shake them regularly for the first couple of weeks or so and then irregularly after that.  They will be done after 4-6 months.  I used approximately 7  seven inch beans for each cup of alcohol.
     I have some photos I will post later so that you can see what it looks like.  I do want to warn people to not rub your eyes or anything sensitive on your body if you have any of the vanilla oil or liquid on your hands.  It irritated my eyes a little.  I had to wash them twice.  I washed my hands a few times only to find it really lingers.  So bear that in mind.  Nothing troublesome, just irritating.  Makes you itchy a little.  It doesn't irritate as badly as cinnamon oil does, though.  You can't leave cinnamon on our skin or it will turn red and be very irritated almost burned.  I don't like cinnamon oils in my goat's milk soaps for that reason.  I love cinnamon and especially in my foods.  But the oil can be a bit much for a lot of people's skin.
      Next I am wanting to make a vanilla extract with tequila or even spiced rum.  But I am going to wait until the next extra bit comes in.  I do not want to get too crazy with it all right now.  I want to make some peanut butter cooky dough to freeze soon.  
     I had the first peanut butter and jam mixed together with crackers with my 19 month old son tonight.  That was a wonderful thing to do!  I remember doing that often times with my mom, when I was growing up.  I really enjoyed those snacks that she would share with me.  Like apples sliced with cheddar cheese....yummy.
     Our daughter is doing a lot better with her responsibilities and her attitude.  She does make mistakes but is quicker to realize and apologize than she ever was before.  My husband and I are becoming for consistent and graceful in dealing with her mistakes.  I am so thankful for what God is doing in my life and my family's life!  My husband and I are doing much better, thank you God, with our accepting one another and respecting one another.  Thank you Lord for helping me to be a better wife and for teaching me everyday how to respect my husband better,,,and love him more like you do all of us!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! God loves you very much!